Alongside the weekly community meals, Oasis Café and Kits Cares Café will be expanding their services and holding a community food market to provide groceries at a low cost. Our goal is to provide a dignifying experience that ensures individuals have a choice over the food they receive and enhance accessibility to healthy food options. To learn more about either café, please visit www.tenth.ca/oasis and www.tenth.ca/kitscares.
Summary: The Coordinator will assist in the development and facilitation of two community food markets by researching, planning, and executing the logistics of the markets while engaging with volunteers and customers.
Position: 20 hours/week
- Monday (3:30-8:30 pm), Tuesday (9:00 am-2:00 pm), Thursday (3:00 pm-8:00 pm) – 15 hours
- Administration, volunteer engagement - 5 hours
Working Relationships: Reports to the Director of Local Community Engagement and works closely with the Oasis Café Program Manager, the Kits Cares Café Meal Coordinator, and the Local Ministry Assistant.
The staff coordinator, who will likely have prior experience with both food programming and community engagement, plays a key role in keeping volunteers focused on the goals of the market and how best to achieve them.
PHASE 1: PRE-IMPLEMENTATION:
- Researches and develops a market proposal:
- Evaluates various sources of funding, pricing models, and equipment.
- Identifies local options for produce and proteins that are cost-effective.
- Designs layout and programming that ensures seamless integration between community meal and market.
- Outlines a volunteer engagement pathway.
- Evaluates and provides recommendations on best practices for the market.
PHASE 2: MARKET IMPLEMENTATION:
- Planning and management of Community Food Market (60%):
- Oversees the day-to-day operations of Community Food Markets including setting up, planning, service, and clean-up:
- Unlocks and prepares the site.
- Manages the delivery and distribution of market produce within budget, including procuring supplies and food donations.
- Equips volunteers in their roles to serve.
- Sets up bi-weekly market; organizes food items/market in a way that looks professional.
- Keeps the market space clean and organized.
- Sets up signs, receives monetary donations, and provides bags for food to go in.
- Supervises individuals as they shop and assists where necessary.
- Guides how to cook with certain food items when necessary (recipes, cooking tips etc.).
- Ensures social distancing and monitors how many guests can shop at the market at a time.
- Monitors and takes note of items that people are interested in or request often.
- Ensures that limits on certain food items are adhered to (to be determined weekly depending on what food we have).
- Collects, records, and deposits payments.
- Participates in facility maintenance such as sweeping, mopping, keeping storage rooms/closets organized and neat, and taking out the compost, recycling, and garbage.
- Implements policies and procedures and facilitates training for employees and volunteers.
- Provides direction, supervision, and training in market operations and volunteers.
- Develops promotions, marketing, and programming.
- Manages and addresses emergencies, incidents, conflicts, and risks as they arise.
- Evaluates and records market statistics, monitors budget and finances, tracks donations, and completes reimbursement forms.
- Liaises with the Facilities Manager and local Environmental Health officer to ensure community markets are operating in compliance with health regulations.
- People resource planning and management (40%):
- Provides leadership in volunteer management including recruitment, onboarding, and ongoing development of volunteers.
- Attends meetings and training as required.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Post-secondary education in Christian theology, community development, social service work, or other relevant human services field is required; an equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
- Completion of Occupational First Aid (Level 1), Non-Violent Crisis Training, Mental Health First Aid and FoodSafe (Level 1) preferred, or willingness to learn.
- A minimum of 1-year experience working closely with and relating to people in vulnerable populations or an equivalent combination of education, and training.
- Prior experience with both food programming and community engagement is strongly preferred.
- Interest in and knowledge of local food and community.
- Ability to manage and lead change, think strategically, develop leaders, and build consensus around a vision.
- Demonstrated success in leading teams.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, effective listening skills, and organizational skills.
- Ability to adapt to a constantly changing environment, quick to problem solve and de-escalate conflicts as they arise, and an ability to maintain harmonious relationships while leading with emotional maturity.
- Strong ability to work under minimal supervision, act with a high degree of integrity, exercise discretion and independent judgment, and act on a variety of matters as required.
- Ability to work and empathize with people who may have experienced abuse, poverty, grief and loss, oppression, violence, mental health challenges, substance use or maybe living with life-limiting or life-threatening conditions.
- Demonstrated success in conflict resolution.
- Physical capabilities to set up and move tables, work outside in the wintertime, and repeatedly walk between indoor and outdoor market locations.
- Mature individual who possesses a deep and vibrant faith in Christ with a desire to foster spiritual growth in others and experience mutual spiritual transformation.
- Compassionate, humble, and teachable spirit with the ability to provide and receive constructive feedback.
- Friendly, approachable, patient, kind, reliable, and punctual.
- Must obtain Criminal Record Check with vulnerable sector search.
- Applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Valid BC driver’s license, and clean driving record.
- Commit to a Faith community through gatherings and regular participation.
- Agree with Statement of Faith of Tenth Church.
- Dedication to the overall goals, health, and vision of Oasis Café and Kits Cares Café at Tenth Church.